Review A Legislative Session Discussion
Discussion Board Week 1: Review a Legislative Session
Becoming familiar with the legislative process is an important skill for public health advocacy, prevention, and policy.
Step One: Review the Senate Floor session for March 10th 2016: http://calchannel.granicus.com/MediaPlayer.php?view_id=7&clip_id=3442 Navigate to ~24 minutes into the video. There is a lag on getting the session started. After that there is a remaining 1 hour 15 minutes in length. Please review it in its entirety.
The session video should be opened using Google Chrome or Firefox (Internet Explorer will not work effectively for this video)
That day, the California Legislature passed a set of landmark public health bills:
Electronic cigarettes (Leno)
Tobacco products: minimum legal age (Hernandez)
Smoking in the workplace (Mark Stone)
Tobacco use programs (Thurmond)
Local taxes: authorization: cigarettes and tobacco products (Bloom)
Cigarette and tobacco product licensing: fees and funding (Nazarian)
Step 2: Each bill that was passed that day has the potential to impact improvements in public health. After reviewing the video, students will select two bills that interest them and then, research and describe.
1. Using the video or the bill text, briefly describe each of the bills (2-3 sentences). The bill text can be found by looking through the agenda on the right-hand side of the screen.
2. Be sure to include two specific facts you learned about each bill
Step 3: Review Chapters 1 & 2 in your text. Then: (SEE ATTACHED POWERPOINTS)
1. Focusing on your text share/describe a few aspects of the policymaking process you saw take place while viewing the video.
2. Using the internet, briefly research and describe (2-3 sentences) the policymaker that wrote one of the policies you described above. Expand upon the section on p. 32 in the text about policymakers and connect to your description. Why may the policymaker support this policy?
3. Describe why government intervention is considered appropriate for the population?