Managing Intercultural Communication And Teams
Social Media 1
Discussion 1: Reflection and Shared Practice
Working in teams, in general, can be challenging. Because of the global transformation of business, virtual teams have become more common. The success of this type of collaboration is dependent upon not only technology, but on team members’ ability to adopt new ways of thinking and working. In addition, managing intercultural communication may become more profound in this type of environment. An effective virtual team aligns its mission, clarifies team members’ roles, and understands differing communication styles as a means to optimize its virtual workspace.
To prepare for this Discussion:
Review this week’s Learning Resources, especially:
· Quintanilla, K. M., & Wahl, S. T. (2020). Business and professional communication: KEYS for workplace excellence (4th ed.) Thousand Oaks, CA: SAGE Publications.
· Chapter 5, “Getting to Know Your Diverse Workplace”
· Lepsinger, R. (2012). The virtual challenge: It’s more than cultural differences. See attachment
· Radovic-Markovic, M., Grozdanic, R., & Markovic, D. (2012). The impact of virtual culture See attachment
· TED. (Producer). (2017, October). Rocío Lorenzo: How diversity makes teams more innovative [Video file]. Retrieved from https://www.ted.com/talks/rocio_lorenzo_want_a_more_innovative_company_hire_more_women
Cohesive response based on your analysis of the Learning Resources and your professional experience. Be sure to discuss the following:
· Reflect on your personal experience in working in a virtual team environment (professional or academic) and analyze the influence of various dimensions of diversity on communication behaviors. *If you do not have professional experience working in a virtual team, then reflect upon your prior sessions as a student. Although you may not have had any team-based assignments, this online learning experience mirrors many of the principles and practices of working in a virtual environment in which students are highly dependent upon each other and the professor for certain outcomes.
· Discuss your experience working in a virtual team environment to include the logistics or mechanics of your interactions with team members (i.e., conference calls, e-mail, etc.).
· Discuss your experience with using web-based collaboration tools; if you do not have any direct experience, discuss how you could leverage these tools in your organization.
· Describe some of the challenges you faced and how you adapted or overcame those challenges.
· Discuss the forms of diversity you encountered.
· Referring back to how might your virtual interactions have been different if the team members were in a co-location? Include some specific examples.
· APA citing
· No plagiarism
· 3-4 paragraphs